1975 MGB GT V8

Dave’s New Toy. It all happened one dismal day in February. I was off work having had an operation on my foot, I could not stand up on the cold concrete of the garage floor, but my Ebaying index finger was very fit and healthy. Suddenly my compensation for a miss sold endowment had bought my new project car; a factory MGB V8. My spare time for the next 3 years had been written off in one click of the mouse. On collection the V8 seemed to have rust in all the usual places, even though it had a current MOT and looked very shiny. The mechanics all seemed OK, so the world of 0 to 60’s in 7.7 seconds became a reality. After a week of checking and cleaning, the very 1970’s colour of Harvest Gold, began to grow on me - even if only at dusk with my eyes squinted; but it was not to Miriam’s taste so a colour change was on the cards. With a complete re-spray, a restoration of the bodywork began in earnest. I fired up the MiG welder and angle grinder; then began the long process of cutting out 35-year-old metal and welding in new. Ever since Heritage shells started to be produced, I’ve always fancied building a car that was as good as new, so after a great deal of deliberation a new shell was ordered. It was delivered by Beehive to my college mate who lives in Nuneaton, for a coat of paint. This led to the massive decision about which colour! Then at Yarmouth Old Gaffers Pete’s TR5 in signal red inspired me as it glowed in the sun. While waiting for the new shell, every other part was stripped from the old, using copious quantities of WD40, Jeizer, sanding, painting and storing. All the major mechanical parts were to be cleaned up and fitted to the new shell. However, Malcolm Worby placed the seeds of doubt that I should strip the V8 engine down (doesn’t a V8 engine have lots of whirring round bits). I replaced the camshaft, rings and bearings that were a bit worn. Fred Gaddis honed the bores, polished the journals then I was ready to re-assemble the engine, replacing gaskets and seals. The interior was a bit of a fiddle and I decided to go for a bit of ‘bling’ with leather, walnut and carpet, rather than nylon, wrinkle paint and rubber mat! The two and a half months of cold weather this winter took its toll on progress, but in spite of this I was ready for MOT by the end of February. Apart from a headlight beam alignment being ¾ inch out Kevin at Chale gave it a clean bill of health. It’s all been plain sailing since (touch walnut) except for a few leaky joints, but that might just be my age! Dave and Miriam Crewe